Thursday, February 02, 2012

Restaurant Review: Frank

Being that my blog is somewhat for the use of depicting life in Austin, TX, I want to spend some time reviewing the local restaurants that we visit!

We went to this awesome little hot dog joint in downtown Austin on 4th and Colorado called simply, "Frank". 



First of all, when I walk into a restaurant and they serve everything from a mason jar...I'm pretty much already sold. That being said, I tried not to get too giddy and leave my bias at the door. Needless to say, I thought the atmosphere was great. We went mid-afternoon on a Sunday and there was a slight wait, but not too long. You can tell it's going to be pretty good if people are still waiting at 3PM in the afternoon. 

We started off with the Waffle Fry Nachos. They are tasty waffle fries (which manage to stay crispy), topped with refried beans, jalapenos, cheese, sour cream and salsa. This in itself would be enough for a full meal! For those of you who are familiar with Dallas, these remind me of the Cheese Fries at Snuffer's. Which if you've had them, you know they are to die for. I'd say Snuffer's are slightly better, simply because they have bacon. Pork always wins. The Waffle Fry Nachos at Frank certainly hold their own, though. They were delicious.

Frank has a great special menu that changes every week. The waitress (who was absolutely wonderful) recommended to order off of there, because you may never see that particular dog again! My husband decided to go for it and got some sort of blue cheese dog topped with hot wing sauce, celery and all the other stuff that goes along with it. He didn't look up once, so it passed his test!

I decided to stick with the regular menu, and I got the Sonoran Dog. It's a 100% beef dog, stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon and deep fried. (What diet?) Topped with grilled onions, diced onions, diced tomatoes, pinto beans, jalapeno sauce, mayo and mustard. I took off the mayo, just to save calories! Ha...I kid, I kid. I hate mayonnaise. There is just something about the aftertaste I just can't handle. Anyway, that's beside the point. My verdict on the hot dog...

It. Was. Amazing.

Holy cow...I mean Holy pig. Talk about the best hot dog you can imagine. One hot dog is enough to feed two people, seriously. I ate the whole darn thing. Absolutely scrumptious. The hot dog itself was so juicy. My husband will tell you that a good dog has a "snap" to it. I really had no earthly idea what he was talking about, until now. Wow. The grilled onions were a perfect compliment. The jalapeno sauce was awesome. A little spicy, but excellent. 

Now for dessert: Chocolate covered bacon. Seriously, what's not to like? It was awesome, too. I can't even describe the flavor, it was just GOOD.

Based on my meal alone, I give this place the whole hot dog! Absolutely fantastic. If you're in town, stop there and have a bite! They also serve coffee, have a full bar, and brunch!

You can visit their website at www.hotdogscoldbeer.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...