Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Roaring Fork-Austin

My hubby and I celebrated our anniversary last night at The Roaring Fork in downtown Austin. He would not tell me all week long where we were going...and kept saying we were going to Golden Corral! Well, thank goodness when we pulled up, it was not the infamous buffet line! haha

Located in Downtown Austin on South Congress inside the Intercontinental Hotel, the Roaring Fork was a great place for a special occasion! The only complaint I have is that we didn't get to sit on the patio upstairs. It overlooks the State Capitol and South Congress Avenue. It was a gorgeous night, so I had really hoped to be up there. We will try to next time, for sure!



The atmosphere was great. Perfect for a special evening. Dimly lit, and with antlers sporadically placed, it had a nice lodge flair. Very casual, but still sophisticated. Not to mention the location was perfect. You can see the State Capitol from the front door! Also, a stone's throw from 6th Street if you plan to head out for some fun afterwards.



We started our meal with a very interesting appetizer. Fried avocado and crab with a horseradish sauce and chives. I wanted to try it because it sounded so different, and I just had to try it! It was really delicious! The crab was really delicious, and I was amazed that the avocado was still perfect inside. I probably wouldn't order it as an appetizer again, simply because two pieces were incredibly filling! They could be a meal in themselves with a salad. Delightful, though!


That being said, I like to do menu research before I go to a restaurant and read reviews so I know what to get. Since my husband wouldn't tell me where we were going, I didn't get a chance to do that! Sweet surprise, though. :) Had I been able to look, I would have known to try the Kettle of Green Chile Pork with hot buttered tortillas. Apparently, that is the appetizer that is a reason to go in itself! Next time!



For dinner, I had the Braised Beef Short Ribs with horseradish mashed potatoes and tomato jam. The horseradish mashed potatoes were a little strong for me. Next time, I might replace them with the White Falls Mills cheese grits. (My hubby had those as a side, and they were fantastic!) The tomato jam really didn't taste much like tomato, more like a sweet barbecue sauce. Still quite tasty, though! The beef rib....I didn't even have to pick up my knife. I could literally pull off the meat with my fork. It was perfectly done. Absolutely amazing. I was very impressed! Perfectly moist, with the hint of sweet from the tomato jam and the savory from the perfectly braised beef rib. I loved this meal.


My husband got the Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with White Falls Mills cheese grits and street corn. The street corn was filled with a pico de gallo mixture, queso fresco, and a balsamic reduction. I thought it was great! The pork was also sensational, and the grits were so creamy. The flavor was perfect, especially when mixed with the balsamic reduction.


They are also known for their Roaring Fork Big Ass Burger with poblano pepper, smoked cheddar, peppered back, onion, lettuce, tomato, and pickles. We saw one come out after we had already placed our order, and from the looks of it, it lives up to the name!


I was also very impressed that they gave us a card for our anniversary and a free dessert. The dessert, by the way, was out of this world. We went with the seasonal pie, which was fresh strawberries in a perfectly flaky crust with Amy's ice cream. It also came with a nice script in dark chocolate that said "Happy Anniversary".

Great experience! Can't wait to go back! Especially for happy hour on that great patio!

1 comment:

  1. YUMM!! I want to go, now!! Your blogs are so informative!! I can't wait to read more on your great restaurant ventures!!! Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...