Monday, October 10, 2011

Low-Fat Clean Eating Chicken and Dumplings

I have had a serious craving for Chicken and Dumplings lately. My Mom makes a mean pot, but I'm fairly certain her version isn't low-fat. (Part of the reason they are DELICIOUS!)





In my diligent online search for the perfect recipe of low-fat recipe, I found this show-stopper that I can't wait to try! Very simple, too!

*3 boneless chicken breasts (organic, free-range)
*1 can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup (Amy's or Pacific brand)
*1 can fat-free, low-sodium chicken stock (Amy's of Pacific brand)
*5 (FRESH) flour tortillas, cut into 2 inch squares
*S & P
*1/2 tsp celery  salt
*dash of thyme

Put all ingredients in a crock-pot on low heat for 6-8 hours. 20-30 minutes prior to serving, add tortillas and let them soak up juices. Shred chicken prior to serving. Will pull apart easily when ready.






* UPDATE*


I actually made these chicken and dumplings tonight! (10/11/11) By no means would they ever stand up to the original recipe that you spend all day making, but for an easy, filling, comforting weeknight supper...they are perfection! Depending on how thick you like the broth, I would add more chicken broth to the recipe, I added another cup. The tortillas made a great dumpling, but need to be cooked at least 30 minutes. You don't need all five tortillas, either. I just used one, and that was plenty. Also, if you are feeding more than 2 people, double this recipe!

I will definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...