Monday, April 30, 2012

Delicious Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos

I haven't been cooking as much as I normally do, because I'm dieting. Blah...I've decided I'm much more likely to stick to a healthy diet if I can make the food more interesting. I've just got to readjust the way I think about cooking! Replace the unhealthy fats with good ones, use more veggies, etc...

I was craving Mexican food over the weekend, and had everything I needed to make some deliciously baked, low-fat chicken taquitos.

This recipes makes 10 taquitos, each one being a serving. They are really filling and really delicious!

3 cups shredded chicken breasts
1/2 cup reduced fat, low sodium chicken broth
4 Tbsp fat-free cream cheese
1 Tbsp cumin
10  white corn tortillas
Cooking spray (I use canola oil in my Misto) 

For dipping:
Your choice of salsa
Fat-free sour cream
Guacamole (love that good fat!)


Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

Set aside your shredded chicken breasts. Personally, I throw chicken breasts in the crockpot on high for fours hours with about 1/2 cup of chicken broth. They come out very moist and tender. You can shred them with a fork and use them for many recipes!


In a pan, melt cream cheese and stir in chicken broth and cumin. You'll want to whisk together until it resembles a cream sauce. Then you'll add your chicken and fold together.
After that, add about 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture to each corn tortilla. It helps to put the tortillas in a napkin and microwave for about 30 seconds so they are more pliable. Fill all of the tortillas, and lay on a baking sheet. Spray with your choice of cooking spray. This will help them get nice and crispy. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crispy.


Even though they are not fried, I still let them rest on a paper towel to get any excess grease off. There really shouldn't be much, but I figure anything counts.


Serve with your favorite fat-free condiments! They were delicious!


Nutritional Information: Serving size: 1 taquito, 144.9 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, 0.8g sat fat, 0.6g polyunsaturated fat, 0.7g monounsaturated fat, 43.4mg cholesterol, 61.2mg sodium, 247.4mg potassium, 12.1g carbs, 18.1g protein.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...