Friday, July 27, 2012

Skinny Chicken Tikka Masala






Many of you know that I am currently on Weight Watchers. I started about 4 weeks ago, and I'm already down 7 pounds! WooHoo! I just love Weight Watchers. When I was about 20 years old, I lost nearly 60 pounds on the plan. I even kept most of it off until I had a baby in late 2010. Now I've started again, and I can't wait to start seeing results. 

You've probably heard me mention one of my favorite food blogs, Skinnytaste. It's full of delicious recipes that are designed to fit into a healthy lifestyle. This particular recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala came from this site. I did modify it just a bit, but only because I lacked some ingredients. I've always been leery of Indian food, simply because the smell is so different from that of traditional American cuisine. The only thing I've tried so far is Tikka Masala, which is a pretty common dish. This recipe was incredibly easy to make. I think it took all of 20 minutes to make. It might take longer if I hadn't already had the chicken pre-cooked. Even still, an easy dish.

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp canola oil or you could use butter
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
  • 4 oz fat free yogurt (I used Chobani)
  • 1/2 cup 1% milk
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp garam masala or curry powder (Garam masala is a mix of several Indian spices) 
  • 1 tsp turmeric (optional)
  • 1/2 tbsp chili powder
  • salt to taste
  • 16 oz (2 boneless) chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 4 tbsp fresh cilantro (or to taste) I forgot this one!!

Directions:

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until golden. Add the crushed ginger, stir for a few minutes then add the garlic and cook another minute. Add cumin, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, and salt; mix well until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, yogurt and milk. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Add chicken and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until cooked through. Add a generous amount of chopped cilantro and serve with Bamati Rice or Naan.


Here is the nutritional information according to Skinnytaste:


Servings: 4 • Size: 3 oz chicken + sauce • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 190.4 • Fat: 4.5 g • Carb: 12.8 g • Fiber: 2.0 g • Protein: 24.5 g • Sugar:5.1
Sodium: 99.3 (without salt)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...