Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rice Noodles and Veggies

This dish came to fruition simply because I hadn't been to the store in longer than I care to admit! I had been to the farmers' market that morning and I picked up some delicious cherry tomatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, and zucchini. Zucchini must grow like crazy in Central Texas, because the zucchini you find at any given farmers' market are huge.  I only used half for this recipe, but for a normal size squash you would use the entire thing.

Normally, I probably would have served these veggies with whole wheat farfalle or penne. I had brown rice noodles, so that's what we got! This recipe turned out to be a really nice, light meal that was easy to prepare. I hope you all enjoy this as much as my family did!



  • 1/2 package brown rice noodles (I use Maifun)
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into bit sized pieces
  • 1 zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces then halved
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 Tbsp basil, julienned 

In a large pot, boil water. The rice noodles will cook almost instantly, so don't cook them until you are done with your sauce. In a separate pan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until onions appear translucent. Add all vegetables, and let cook until slightly tender, but still have some bite.

Add rice noodles to boiling water, and remove after about 30 seconds. Add to pan with vegetables. Reserve a 1/4 cup cooking liquid from the pasta and add to the vegetable and noodles. You could probably substitute chicken broth as well. 


Sprinkle parmesan cheese and basil over the top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...